Vice President, Communications & Community Relations at Belk
Public Information Officer & Assistant to the President for Community Relations & Marketing Services at Central Piedmont Community College
December 2008 - April 2011
* Conceptualized, planned and implemented all public relations and marketing strategy for the largest community college in North Carolina. Averaged over 30 media calls, approximately 30 advertising placements and 150 production jobs per month.
* Oversaw CPCC TV, available to over 400,000 cable subscribers, including conceptualization and hosting of local origination programming.
* Supervised a staff of 23 to develop and execute the media relations, communications, marketing and television initiatives for the College. Oversaw a department budget of over $2 million.
* Led development of/revisions to crisis communication plans. Served as co-chair of College Safety Committee and as a member of the Emergency Management Team.
* Served as a member of College Cabinet, overseeing operations of the College.
Director of Public Affairs at Time Warner Cable
October 2002 - December 2008
* Conceptualized, designed and launched Hands Helping Heroes, a strategically focused, award-winning community outreach initiative which included a cash and in-kind grant program as well as an employee volunteer component. The program resulted in unprecedented exposure for the company's outreach initiatives.
* Supervised a staff of eight to develop and execute the public affairs and production initiatives for the 13-county Charlotte region, including special events, internal communications and education initiatives. Oversaw a department budget of over $1 million.
* Leveraged relationships with national programmers to bring events and education initiatives, such as CNBC's Power Lunch, A&E's Intervention, Oxygen's Fight Like a Girl and National Geographic's Everyday Explorer to the Charlotte region.
* Originated concepts, designed and implemented company-wide employee campaigns for a variety of nonprofit organizations with 1400 employees in 10 counties, which raised $290,000 for local charities.
* Created, managed and launched company volunteer program, including website, online database and community volunteer activities.
* Served as the local media contact, wrote press releases and pitched media on local stories.
Corporate Relations Manager at Harris Teeter
2000 - 2002
* Served as media contact and company spokesperson for company operating in six states (average of 65 media calls per month). Developed and implemented all media strategy, including crisis communication plans, position statements and company policies. Coached corporate and operational management teams on media relations issues and provided periodic spokesperson training. Developed and maintained media database of 400 contact. Monitored media coverage and provided timely media reports to senior management.
* Oversaw administration of companyâs corporate contributions program, determining strategy for giving and promotion of grants. Responded to an average of 80 inquiries and processed an average of 53 contribution request per month. Researched markets, established relationships within communities and provided targeted investment for highest return.
* Originated concept, writing, editing, photography, production and printing of newsletters, news releases and annual reports, including an internal company newsletter to diverse base of 17,000 associates.
* Oversaw the production of daily intranet information sheet, including writing, editing and distribution.
Program Director at Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County
1996 - 2000
* Promoted events and programs through regular media contact, special promotions and ticket marketing resulting in over $250,000 in ticket sales from 1997 - 2000.
* Originated event concepts, planned and executed simultaneous events, including award winning NOVELLO Festival of Reading (a ten-day literary festival), Street Festivals, Author Presentations and Book Signings, Pep Rallies, Annual Meetings, an International Conference, Workshops and Receptions (attendance averaged 1,000 individuals). Managed and tracked event budgets of up to $600,000.
* Served as liaison to high-profile speakers, their staffs and agents.
Project Director at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Education Foundation
1992 - 1996
Originated concepts, designed and implemented one of the first 58 AmeriCorps programs in the United States, placing ten AmeriCorps Members in Charlotte-Mecklenburg middle schools as technology specialists. Managed and tracked Federal project budget of $272,000.